The physiological mechanism that induces development of a structure one
thing, and its ultimate, adaptive function is another (e.g., how fingers
develop during human embryonic development does not explain how they are
later used in adult life).  Differential auxin levels might very well
provide the physiological explanation for the upward root development,
but it does not provide an explanation for their adaptive function.

Among orchid scientists, the consensus is that these erect, pointed
roots function as impounders of debris falling from the canopy.  In
nature, the plants that produce them accumulate debris around their
roots, which obviously provides an additional source of nutrients.  From
Robert Dressler's book (The Orchids: Natural History and Classification;
1981, page 92):

"Grammatophyllum, Ansellia, Graphorchis, Cyrtopodium, some species of
Catasetum, and some members of the subtribe Stanhopeinae, for example,
produce thin, stiff roots that grow upward and outward from the
substrate and serve very well as debris collectors (fig. 4.7).  In other
cases the stems or pseudobulbs themselves may accumulate some trash"

The stiff, erect roots are non-absorbing, but retain the debris in place
for the normal roots below to absorb the leached nutrients.

--
Mario A. Blanco
Herbarium FLAS