In my part of Australia we are well served with fragrant orchids. The best of
them being Dendrobium speciosum and a walk through the bush, usually along a
rocky escarpment in mid-September, is a delight, as the perfume is obvious well
before the plants are visible. Also attending an orchid show at that time, in a
hall rather than a large shopping centre, provides those attending with
something to remember for all time and be sure to wind down the windows in the
vehicle transporting those species to the show or you will be in danger of
suffocating from the concentration of that beautiful odour.
Alan W Stephenson