[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Message: 7
>
>Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:39:29 -0400
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: [OGD] Orchids Digest, Vol 10, Issue 216
>To: orchids@orchidguide.com
>

> Replacing the polycarbonate on the roof of a greenhouse with 5 or 7-wall
> plycarb. would insulate the greenhouse better and save on heating costs.

Not necessarily a good idea in areas with heavy snowfall. My triple-wall
glazing prevents snow from melting at any noticeable rate. I had to make
a rake, get out in the snow, and up onto a ladder, to 'rake' off the
snow to allow light to enter and, during our large snowfalls this past
winter, out of fear the two feet of snow would be too much weight.  Here
in central Ohio, snow can sit for a month or longer before temps rise
enough to appreciably melt it. No light getting into the GH for that
period of time would have very negative consequences. I had planned to
line the interior of the GH with sheet plastic this winter, but now will
definitely not do the roof.

>2.The area above the sidewalls is space that does not need to be heated, at
>night. So, retractable, thermal, shades trap heated air where it is needed, in
>the area of the greenhouse where the plants are.

I have friends who do this and say it makes a big difference. Theirs
sits on suspended wire and pipes and is simply manually pulled across
them with pole 'handles' at the end of the day.
Unfortunately, I can't use this as I have a lean-to style GH with plants
all the way up to the top (five levels of shelves against the wall).

Many of your ideas are good ones and hopefullly others here will come up
with additional ways to help hold costs down. One I've toyed with is
somehow dividing the GH to allow part of it containing cooler/cold
growing plants (disas, laelias, lycastes, paphs, trichopilias,
masdevallias, etc.) to use less heat, reserving that for the
vanda/bulbo/catasetum/phal area instead. A friend heats his GH only to
40F in the winter and his disas love it. He also had no trouble with his
parvi paphs, which often set bud at that time.

Tennis