"Hoosier Orchid... is going out of business at the end of August.

... William Rhodehamel said the ornamental flowers have become a commodity
now stocked even at stores like Costco.
"It used to be that if you wanted orchids in Indianapolis, you had to come
to us," Rhodehamel said.

Business also withered because fewer people are showing interest in the
myriad specialty versions that Rhodehamel raised. Membership in the
American Orchid Society, a group of hobbyists and enthusiasts, has fallen
substantially in recent years.

Rhodehamel started Hoosier Orchid in 1989...
He eventually cultivated orchids never before grown from seed, as well as
some varieties that have never received scientific names.

"We have some incredibly rare plants here, some not maintained anywhere
else in the world," Rhodehamel said. "We'll put those in botanical gardens
where we know they'll be safe."  "

Regards,

VB