Dennis Westler beat me to the punch on what I consider the appropriate response
to these taxonomic debates.  Its important to know that there's a split between
those taxonomists who follow morphology and those who follow DNA.  Debates
similar to Dennis's example of the presence/absence of a Bromelliad's bract are
being played out in every field of study.  Getting genetic material may be an
easy answer for species identification, but is it the right one?  There was an
article in the old Bulletin where an author longed for the day when the genetic
differences between Epi oerstedii and Epi ciliare could be elucidated.  Always
be careful what you wish for, LOL!  (At least I think it was ciliare...I could
be misremembering)

The study of speciific genomes is advancing much, much faster than the rest of
us realize.  For example the proceedings of the 3rd IOCC published in
Lankesteriana published an article regarding the use of a plant's genetic
barcode to identify an orchid as endangered.  (See Molecular Genetic Diagnosis
of the 'Taxonomically Difficult' Australian Endangered Orchid Microtis anguii :
An Evaluation of the Utility of DNA Barcoding'; pg 196.)  The authors stress
the morphology and ecology of a plant needs to be assessed in addition to its
DNA barcodes.  In this case Microtis is believed to be a poorly understood
clonal, clumping species.  Wiping out one clone or group could inadvertantly
wipe out an unidentified (or evolving?) species (parenthenses mine).  I believe
Koopowitz et al in their search for Phrag kovachii have speculated that many
Paphs/Phrags are believed to be clonal in nature, too.  So you never know.  The
law of Unintended Consequences rears its head.

Now.  Isn't that much more food for thought than just saying some jack*ss
taxonomist had to publish or perish?

K Barrett
N Calif, USA