> Did the orchids forget to read the book?

        Yes indeed.  The orchids did not read the book.  Nor did any other
creatures other than ourselves.  The idea of one species being distinct
from any other species is strictly a human concept.  We like to have
items in distinct boxes.  We understand things better that way.  But
life doesn't fit in neat boxes.  Life is a continuum.  Sure, there are
clear differences.  But there are also situations where differences are
far from clear.  The Cattleya group, for instance.  Probably what we are
seeing are situations where genetic divergences are occurring but have
not reached the point at which we can put them in clearly distinct boxes
- that is distinct species.  To me, this demonstrates the correctness of
the theory of evolution, not its wrongness.

        On a parallel matter.  Taxonomists as a group are a remarkably
opinionated lot.  Disagreements among them about what should constitute
a species have led to personal attacks that make our flame wars on the
internet mild by comparison.  Check the history of taxonomy.

        Note that I have not offered a definition of a species.  People far
more knowledgeable than I have attempted to define species to fit all
cases.  They have failed.

                        John Waddington