Gerald wrote:

>Idle question please.
>
>It is my understanding that a plant entered for judging (Award and Show)
>must be correctly identified
>
>What happens when a plant is entered under the 'old,' 'older' or even
>'oldest' name?
>
>Jerry in IN

Hello Jerry,
   Well, it depends on the helpfulness of the show registrars and the
judges involved in the show. If you have very nice registrars and
judges like we usually have at our CNYOS show (which will be October
4th+5th at the Beaver Lake Nature Center, Baldwinsville, NY), if
submit a plant with a certain name and for sake of discussion it is
two name changes old, the registrars will use online and computer
resources to research the name to make sure it is correct, to the
best of their knowledge at that second, and if there is an error it
will be adjusted and entered with the proper name and the entrant
notified. It will then be seen by judges, and if a name has changed
again and a judge knows that the tag is wrong, then usually they will
point it out and go ahead with judging. Especially if at the moment
at hand all that is at stake is ribbon judging, then they want to
encourage the general orchid populace to enter plants in a show, then
there is often more forgiveness towards an incorrect tag. To be a
jerk and bounce a plant at that point from any sort of judging would
be a bit counter-productive to having someone feel good about their
encyclia mariae (euchile?) getting a blue ribbon and deciding to put
more plants in a show next time. If it is a species epithet (or
genus) that is entered under an old name then it isn't really someone
trying to misrepresent what a plant is, it's more of just the whole
rolling genus name problem with new names being designated. What are
the problems are people representing hybrids as species, or one
hybrid similar to another but looking nicer than the named one and
maybe more likely to get a real award, or just an error or misplaced
tag in a nursery that says it is one but is really another, and no
sort of misrepresentation at all. This is what I have gathered from
listening to judges at shows while clerking and assisting with other
details and awards photography.

   In the other direction, I guess there have been times and places
where a show may be operating under the assumption that the plant
owner must and has researched the name, and if they have it wrong
then it is or can (or automatically will) be refused for any sort of
judging, because it isn't listed as what it should be. In this case
'the rules' are determined to be the most important thing and if
someone doesn't do their homework properly, then they fail and the
plant is refused. Different shows can operate under different rules
(some don't have AOS judging), and different personalities can affect
what the outcome might be. 'It depends', is what it boils down to...
I think it also can depend on how big the show is as well. If you
have a large showing or are at a regional center and only AOS or
large societies' awards are being given out and there isn't as much
time for extra research or changing labels (or the people doing
registration aren't concerned with the feelings of the entrants) then
maybe there could be a 'tougher stance' towards errors.

hope this helps,
charles
--
charles ufford