>From: K Barrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: [OGD] "Don't call it Taiwan virus'
>

>Barbara Andrewski provided the link to this article about Phal
>viruses.  In it the author mentions that the Capsicum chlorosis
>virus (CaCV) is spread by the Asian thrip Thrips palmi which is kept
>out of Europe by phyto-sanitary inspections.  That the virus is
>limited threat because it is localized rather than systemic,
>affecting only the area of the insect's bite.
>
>Any plant pathologists out there?
>
>Why wouldn't the common thrip pass along CaCV?
>Can a virus be limited and not systemic?
>
>And finally, wow! 33% of the crop had OSRV and/or CymMV present.
>
>Let's be careful out there.
>
>K Barrett
>N Calif, USA> > A while back someone mentioned diseased orchids that
>came from Taiwan. > Here is an article that showed up recently in
>one of the Grower trade > magazines. Here it is:> >
>http://floracultureinternational.com/> > Barbara

Hello K,
   I know that virus can only be transmitted by western flower thrip
by the larvae, not the flying critters. Feeding habit and the
mechanics of their feeding could make a difference in whether or not
a particular bug could transmit a virus. Other thrips could also
spread the virus as well, but if the author doesn't know about it or
is only providing details about that particular bug, they wouldn't
include that information, possibly. All I know is that thrip are a
giant pain the whatoosie when they get resistant.... at one point
there was a population that was resistant to orthene fogging....
luckily they are not resistant to a greenhouse that has had the heat
turned off and winter temperatures allowed to clean things up.

--
charles ufford
oriskany, ny usa