Well, I know that pine, being a fast-growing wood, is a highly renewable
forest product, but I wondered about the manner in which it is done. I have
worked live-tree farms & "boutique" timber in the Northern climate, and that
is highly compatible with orchid habitat.

There is a good passage in Rachel Carson's "The Sea Around Us" in which she
describes the deforestation of some islands by goats. The mature trees of
course die off one at a time, and the goats were  left there by sailors
(English used to supply their shipping lanes with fresh meat this way). The
goats were eating young seedlings, and so the island was deforrested by
attrittion and never recovered.

There was a lot of detail at the meeting today that will be rebroadcast on
Austin's city cable channel and streamed live at their website this weekend.
Extremely interesting stuff:
http://www.cityofaustin.org/channel6/  and I am going to pick up a citizen's
copy of the program asap. I suggest everyone who has that privilege do the
same, because I am not sure if a person outside the city can request one,
and I think other cities are considering this same type of plant.  (possibly
you need just an Austin library card or voter registration, I don't know,
since I never needed a copy before)

Today they covered how the plant will be built, what it will burn, how it
will harvest, etc and so I imagine that the info is relevant to any and all
such plants.

What I saw of concern to the habitat is related to the goat thing that
Carson described so many years ago, except that of course responsible
forestry would leave the young trees. But I think that would have to be done
"boutique timber" style and this plant must surely be relying on something
that will bulk-harvest.

Some orchids actually do well in distrubed soil, so it really is a topic
requiring more specialized knowledge of both species needs and logging
techniques.