https://github.com/orientechnologies/orientdb/issues/4105#issuecomment-101072462

I'm bringing up this issue, even though I've solved the primary problems,
because it raised other questions that I think need to be answered or
otherwise documented, specifically:
Lessons Learned / Further Questions

   1. Lightweight edges are not statistically faster with OrientDB 2.0.X
   and can't be indexed -- don't use them unless you're only using at most a
   handful of edges for any given node.
   2. Groovy 2.4.3 is either significantly faster, or as fast as Groovy
   1.8.9, depending upon the use case.
      - *Are there any known reasons why we shouldn't use Groovy 2.4.X for
      our Gremlin queries instead of Groovy 1.8.9?*
   3. OrientBaseGraph::createIndex() is both awkward to use and
   under-documented.
      - *How do you use createIndex() to create an index with a composite
      key?*
      - *There's almost no useful documentation of the Parameter class.*
      - *What's the difference in performance / implementation of UNIQUE
      and UNIQUE_HASH_INDEX indexes?*
   4. Vertex::getEdges() checks for useful indexes, but doesn't make use of
   the edge index I defined.
      - *Why not?*
      - *What indexes would be used by getEdges()?*
      - *How would I define them?*
   5. Am I correct in surmising that edge data (eg: edge @rid
   <https://github.com/rid>) is stored on the source and target node
   records, in addition to on the edge record?
      - How do we tune this?
      - Is this more helpful for Gremlin or SQL queries?
      - What are the practical limits to scalability, for both SQL and
      Gremlin?
   6. *What types of indexes could be defined to improve the performance of
   Gremlin queries when working with (or through) super-nodes?*