I'm hoping that someone can help recommend the correct configuration of
classes to achieve this goal in OrientDB (running 2.1-rc3 at the moment).
My interface is through the Java Graph API.

I want to have a vertex that is a directory.  I want to have multiple edge
relationships between a directory, its sub-directories and the 'contents'
of the directory.  When i was prototyping with light-weight edges, things
were fine because the problem domain dictated the the label for each entry
in the directory (and therefor the label for each edge) was unique.  But I
would really like to have heavy-weight edges that capture more information
about the nature of the directory entry (when it was created, and by whom
for example).

I am trying to use Schema-Hybrid mode for this directory object.  There are
some defined properties, but the edges that get created will be extremely
varied, potentially referencing any other vertex class in my system.

When I tried this, I ran into the problem that an edge classNname and its
label are conflated, and it seems impossible to set a label for a
heavy-weight edge that is something other than its class name (this seems
by design in the code and is mentioned in the docs).

Then, it seems, by default, that an edge relationship is OType.LINK by
default, so, if the labels are not unique, I will only get one instance of
a relationship with each class - adding another entry over writes the first
entry.  (Is this true or am I doing something wrong?)

Now, I could go and create edge properties for a given type and create an
edgeProperty that is of OType.LINKBAG.  Unfortunately, as I said, I could
have multiple instance of just about any vertex class in my system stored
in the directory, so I don't want to have to define edgeProperties for
every potential class that could be stored in a directory.

Thank you for any advice or corrections.  I'm also very interested in the
reason behind forcing the labels to be the same as the class name.

Dave