I did not find a way to make updates to LINKSET/LINKLIST more efficient. It
seems like their performance decreases as the size gets larger and larger.
However, I did find that using the RID bag was *super *fast compared to
LINKSET and LINKLIST.

I.e.
OProperty logEvents = logClass.createProperty("log_events", OType.LINKBAG);
and
ORidBag logEntries = log.field("log_events");
logEntries.add(logEntryDocument.getIdentity());
log.save();

Using the ORidBag cut my insert time by nearly 600%. It seems like that is
what you should use if you have more than a few thousand entries in a LINK
list/set. I did notice a slight increase in read times (i.e. SELECT queries
went up about 10%). But that difference is negligible compared to the
performance increase on inserts.

Another big *win *for ORidBag is that the performance seems to stay fairly
linear as the size increases. You can see a little hit as the size
increases orders of magnitude, but nothing like I was seeing for
LINKLIST/LINKSET.

This seems to have solved my issue for now. Hopefully this can help someone
else in the future...