I have 2.5 million articles loaded up with a LUCENE index, and the results
look pretty good so far, with one notable exception. (I will get to that)

For the moment, I'm wondering if (or why) connection overhead seems to be
considerably higher than query overhead.

For example, $client->dbOpen("mydb"); takes ~ 50 msec.

Compared with the actual query, e.g. $result = $client->query("SELECT FROM
Article WHERE body LUCENE \"studenter\""); which takes about 15 msec.

Is that a normal or well-known OrientDB performance metric? Opening a
database takes ~ 3 times longer than querying a lucene index and fetching
20 records? It seems high.

If that's not a normal OrientDB metric, is this a possible bottleneck in
the PHP driver?

Is it because it's preparing for transactions or something? Is there some
way maybe open a read-only connection and save some of the connection
overhead?

I'm running OrientDB 2.1.2 and using latest ostico/phporient package driver.

On another note, as mentioned first, the LUCENE index type appears to be
unusable with the COUNT operator - for example, a query like SELECT
COUNT(*) FROM Article WHERE body LUCENE "odense" took more than two minutes
to complete, and a warning was displayed on the console: "fetched more than
50000 records: to speed up the execution, create an index or change the
query to use an existent index" - obviously I'm using an index, but perhaps
the integration with LUCENE doesn't optimize COUNT queries, and maybe it
should?

For the moment, it looks like, if we want to use OrientDB for this project,
we'll have to avoid COUNT queries, which means we can't tell our users how
many results are in their searches...

Our existing system is MySQL with SOLR on the side, which means we have a
lot of complexity from updating and querying SOLR indexes on the
application side - our hope was to get rid of this complexity, by using a
single database that can handle both full-text and regular queries, so
we're evaluating OrientDB for this.

Thanks,
  Rasmus Schultz