> How do you ensure, for example, that you have retrieved all of the sales
> records for a particular product if people have entered the product name
> differently at different times?  Often in more than one incompatible way?
> Or, for example, have entered the country name in many ways? E.g. the
> country Ireland can legitimately be called Ireland, Republic of Ireland,
> Eire and even (for some rather older people) Southern Ireland

If you ask me, these kinds of problems aren't solved with data
normalization and only indirectly with schema. It is more a matter of
application/ business logic and specifying enforcing standardized data
entry.

I agree with "if data is copied, it can get out of sync". Making sure data
stays in sync is the price to pay, when it comes to getting the great
advantages of not having object relational impedance mismatching.

As for two teams working on the same project. It is very rare that two
teams work on the same part of the same project. If they do, they most
certainly need to collaborate. And, any good dev team today works with
continuous integration and will be working into a staging or development
branch of the project. So, collisions in code should be rare. Thus, if the
schema is in the code, there are no database issues. The data storage is
pushed into the background. This isn't the case with schema defined in the
database. When there is schema, then there needs to also be schema
versioning, which adds an added level of difficulty to agile development
and functional QA testing.

Scott