On 11/10/12 07.09, Chris Lott Wrote:

"I don't know what over folding might be called, but I noticed that ...
[snip]... when  folding, say, edges to a center crease they try for perfection
and end up with a fold that is "too tight" or even a little overlapped, which
comes back to haunt them when they are doing a reverse fold later, etc. In my
admittedly limited experience, I find it's better to purposefully be a little
imperfect and err on the side of a small gap and carefully making a good
"point" than over folding..."

_______________

Hi,

This phenomenon you're describing seems to fit pretty well with the "Fudge
factor" definition : "A small gap deliberately left when folding to a crease
(typically a centre crease) to make allowance for the thickness of the paper"
(source : BOS online origami glossary).

More generally, one good piece of advice to avoid this problem : Never make a
crease sharp unless you are 100% sure you are making it precisely at its exact
location (expressed originally - but in different words - by R. Lang on this
list).

When looking at some models folded by novice folders, you can easily see all
those little mistakes (often visible with "points" not aligning properly) that
eventually sum up in an unclean (and sometimes... well, messy) final product.

The ability to make clean folds  - which include taking the fudge factor into
consideration while folding - is a process that comes with practice. Also, many
folders will have to slow the pace down significantly in order to achieve that
level of clean-ness (unless their name is Stephan Weber ! ;-).

Regards,

Dominic