Hi all,

We will not have David Lister and his dissertations about paper folding
history. He always had an answer to clarify a concept or any historical
moment discussed on the list or privately with him.

In 2010, I asked him to send me a short self-biography which I include
below. I translated it into Spanish to be publish in a blog.

I hope you like it.

Good luck,

Jose Tomas Buitrago

WHO IS DAVID LISTER?

 I was born on 18th April, 1930, in Grimsby, then a large fishing port on
the east coast of England on the south side of the estuary of the River
Humber. I was educated at local schools and was then an undergraducate at
Downing College in the University of Cambridge, where I studied history
(mainly British Constiutional History) for two years and then English law
for one year.

 Returning to Grimsby I joined a local firm of solicitors (lawyers) as an
articled clerk (apprentice) and qualified as a solicitor in September,
1956. In the same month I married Margaret whom I had known all my life. We
now have three children, a girl and two boys, all grown up and married and
we have six grandchildren. aged from eighteen months to 20 years old.

 In 1956 I became an assistant solicitor in the same firm and became a
partner in 1962. I remained in the same firm until I retired in April, 1990.

 I learnt a few traditional paperfolding models from my father and one or
two other people. I was particularly attracted to paperfolding without
cutting and began to collect examples of folds. At the time I was unable to
find any books about the subject. In 1953 I met a young many who was able
to teach me how to fold th Chinese Junk and I made step folds of the model.
This reignited my interest in folding and I began again to search for books
on the subject. However, it was not until April, 1956 that I found “The Art
of Chinese Paperflding” by Maying Soong. Two years later I found Robert
Harbin’s “Paper Magic” in a local shop and then one of two book in English
by Isao Honda. Eventually I wrote to Robert Harbin and received an
encouraging reply.

 In 1963, Sam Randlett’s “The Art of Origami” became available in England.
I then wrote to Lillian Oppenheimer in New York and started corresponding
with her. I also bought a number of books about paperfolding from her and
subscribed to The Origamian.

 In 1964 Lillian Oppenheimer sent Iris Walker, who lived (and still lives)
at Hull on the other side of the River Humber, to sixteen people from
England who were in touch with the Origami Center. I immediately replied.
It was from this group that the Origami Portfolio Society was formed by
Sidney French in August 1965.

 Lillian Oppenheimer’s daughter, Rosaly Evnine lived in London and every
year Lillian flew across the Atlantic to visit her daughter and
grandchildren.. In April, 1966, Rosaly invited the members of the Origami
Portfolio Society to visit her home to meet Lillian. In this way the
members of the Origami Portfolio Society came to meet each other. They also
met Lillian Oppenheimer and Robert Harbin, who had also been invited. The
group met again at Rosaly’s home the following year, when Lillian again
visited her daughter. At this second meeting, it was suggested that a
formal paperfolding society should be founded.. During the summer, Sidney
French, Eric Kenneway, John Smith and I drew up a draft constitution.
Sidney French called a meeting to form the Society, the following September
at the Russell Hotel in London.. Here it was agreed to form the British
Origami Society.

 From this the Society gradually grew in both numbers and in activities.
Sidney French became the Chairman and I became a member of the Council. I
replaced Sidney as Chairman after about three years. Then John French took
ove, while. I remained a member of the Council and acted as a general and
legal adviser, working closely with John Smith. I remained on the Council
for many years. Eventually I was made a Vice-President and continued
attending Council Meetings in this capacity until about 1997.when I began
to find it difficult. to travel.

 For two or three years spring meetings of the Society continued to be held
at Rosaly Evnine’s home until the Society became too large to meet there.
The spring meetings were the held at the Vienna Café, off Baker Street in
London. They were later held in various hotels in London and became
residential meetings. It was suggested that ther should also be meetings in
the autumn and for many years these took place at the Cobden Hotel in
Birmingham. I made a point of attending all the spring and autumn meetings
or conventions as we called them, not missing one until autumn 1996..

 I have also attended many meetings abroad, especially in Germany and
Italy. I also attended the Second Meeting of Scientific Origami at Otsu in
Japan in 1994. In May, 2000, I visited Kyoto, Japan at the invitation of
Akira Yoshizawa. I was fortunate to meet Mr. Yoshizawa on many occasions
and also corresponded with him. On each of my visits to Japan I was also
able to meet Mr. Yoshihide Momotani and Mrs, Sumiko Momotani, with whom I
have corresponded for many years.. I attended the New York Conventions in
1995 and 1997.I also attended the West Coast Origami Meeting in San
Francisco, in 1997. In the 1990s I was a member of the private magazine,
FOLD, for which I wrote several long articles about paperfolding, only a
few of which have been published elsewhere. I have written many postings to
the Internet origami group, Origami-L and many of these pieces have been
posted on the British Origami Society web site. I hope to add many other
pieces and longer articles. I have many other interests apart from origami.
They include art and architecture, natural history, recreational
mathematics, astronomy, heraldry and flags, the history of playing cards,
knots, Arthurian history an legend, knots and string figures and mazes and
labyrinths. Whatever my interests, I buy books about them and have a large
private library which is a very useful resource.

 In 1999 I suffered a sprain in my leg and have not been able to travel
very well. So I have missed two conventions of the British Origami Society
and have not been able to travel to conventions abroad.

 Nevertheless, I am still deeply interested in all aspects of paperfolding
and spend much time corresponding with other paperfolders on the Internet.

 David Lister.

 13th April, 2010