Mark wrote and Jason followed up with:

I would like to see the circle with a horizontal line through it with
either the top or bottom shaded in to indicate which side is up. I believe
that this symbol started with either the Spanish or Italians. I would like
to see it as standard.

Forgive my ignorance, but I am not quite sure what new information this
symbol is supposed to convey. If I see origami diagrams that are drawn with
two different colors distinguishing the two sides, is it not obvious from
the color of the paper in the first step (and the color of the finished
model in the last step) which side is up? Perhaps you can explain it to me.

I for one find this incredibly useful information as not all diagrams are
drawn in 2 different colors. Sometimes diagrams are hand drawn and not
shaded so this newish symbol can be useful.

Andrew