It is with great sorrow that I announce the passing of our dear Phyliss
Meth, who died this afternoon from complications of COPD, at age 85. It was
fairly sudden, and she had been in full vigor up until just a few weeks
ago.

Many of you will remember Phyliss as the Manager of The Origami Source for
many years. When Lillian Oppenheimer decided to turn her book and paper
business over to The Friends, it was Phyliss who took up the challenge and
turned it into a professional operation, run from her basement. She was so
committed to helping us grow, and did anything she could to support us.

I knew her for almost 30 years, and for so much of that time she defined
OrigamiUSA (or The Friends) for many of us ... gruff and a bit bitchy, but
with a heart of gold and a great sense of honor and humor. If Michael was
the Pop of our old Mom and Pop existence, I think in many ways it was
Phyliss, not Lillian or Alice, who was the Mom.

She will be missed. But as one of my friends said, “now there’s quite a
group from The Origami Center on the other side – hope they have some great
paper!” And, knowing Phyliss, she’ll have it all organized real fast.

Phyliss’ daughter, Jean Baden-Gillette, has asked that, in lieu of flowers,
contributions should be made to OrigamiUSA in Phyliss’ memory. Funeral
arrangements will be announced soon, and condolence cards can be sent to
Jean, at 77-38 162nd St., Fresh Meadows, NY 11366.

Regards, Jan Polish