> Thought some on this list may be interested in seeing some
> origami-inspired buildings:
>
> http://architizer.com/blog/folding-architecture-top-10-origami-inspired-buildings/
>
> I'm not in the field, so perhaps some architects on this list may wish
> to weigh in on the pros and cons of this website?

It's great to see "origami-inspired" buildings, but here's my reaction to
nearly all of the designs: Fussy!  The blurb that appears before the images
says, "Architects love origami because it achieves what buildings rarely do:
frame space through extreme economy of means."  I don't see economy of means at
all, but rather folded planes used purely as a form of expression.  Only the
least "origami-like" one of them all, the one called Origami House in
Barcelona, looks clean and purposeful from the photo.  I don't have a problem
with expressionistic architecture, but it has to be coherent and beautiful and
not pretend to be functionally-driven when it's not.

I'm appreciative to Patsy for sending along both web links.  I'm currently
preparing a lecture for the local American Institute of Architects chapter on
my origami and architectural designs and how they have inspired and learned
from each other.  These images certainly provide food for thought.

--Peter Engel