>There's an overlap of paper on both
>sides of the intrinsic straight crease, which is curved in the final model.
>Robert Lang calls the couplets flanges in his flanged pots. We can, of
>course, have two intrinsic straight creases for the couplet. The
>surface of the model will then be polyhedral.
Cheng Chit

> What is the best paper to use? Warps can be a problem.
Dianne Stephens

To provide sufficient rigidity, use thicker paper like 110 gsm Elephanthide.

In Mitani's models, the couplets or flanges are exposed on the outside. It
is possible to have the couplets hidden by having them on the other side.
For couplets, with two intrinsic straight creases, crimp the couplet at the
vertex (point where the polygons meet). For couplets with an intrinsic
curved and a straight crease, theoretically, you will have to have an
infinite number of crimps on the couplet. Try transforming the intrinsic
curved crease into a finite number of straight lines and crimp.

This area of 3-D folding is intriguing. We can extend the couplet folding
technique to non-rotational symmetric models. Here two  of my couplet folded
models:
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/chengchit/8529417567/
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/chengchit/6236286619/

Cheng Chit