On Dec 13 2014, Kevin Lee <insomniacfol...@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

> On December 12th the 'Numberphile' channel on YouTube (math focused, 1
> million plus subscribers) posted a video, 'How to Trisect an Angle with
> Origami', which list members might find of interest - though I'm sure the
> material is very familiar to them. The link, should anyone be interested, is:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL2lYcggGpc

The video is lovely, but I can't help being annoyed that the first discoverer
of a method to use origami to solve this problem--Hisashe Abe of Hokkaido
University--is nowhere  in the video (body or credits) mentioned by name. It is
as if origami is this general pool of knowledge and there are no pioneers worth
crediting for their efforts or discoveries. (Meanwhile in this presenter's
companion video on "Euclid's Big Problem", Galois and
Wantzel--mathematicians--ARE mentioned by name.)

This keeps happening. A few months ago Sharon Laubach <wereg...@yahoo.com>)
posted a link on this list to some neat work by some robot scientists:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/robotics-hardware/robots-get-flexible-and-torqued-up-with-deformable-origami-wheels

The article takes its cue from what is said in the video by the Korean group,
and states:

"...One of the groups was from Seoul National University's BioRobotics
Laboratory, led by Professor Kyu-Jin Cho. Researchers there have designed a
clever robotic wheel based on one of the most famous origami patterns, the
magic ball pattern. "

The "magic ball pattern" may or may not be one of the most famous in origami,
but it most certainly was invented by SOMEONE---so far as I know it is Yuri
Shumakov.  Would it have cost the authors anything to mention the name of the
person whose idea they built upon? Somewheres?

We need to start insisting on more respect for our field.

Saadya