Like others who replied to JC Nolan's question, I've been using and
teaching the simple, 1-cut pamphlet for so long that I have no idea where I
first learned it, let alone who created this brilliant model.

For a children's book festival in 2009, I made hand-drawn diagrams for the
booklet and turned them into a fold-and-cut  "Make Your Own Book" 8.5 x 11
inch handout. (I'd be happy to send a PDF.)

When I teach the booklet, I always urge folders to try using it in other
ways, e. g., as a module for building.

2 more riffs on the theme:
https://bookzoompa.wordpress.com/2009/11/30/how-to-make-an-origami-pamphlet/
Paula Beardell Krieg's Book Arts comment on her (lovely ) diagrams pushes
the date back to a book she saw in the 1960s.

http://www.philobiblon.com/gbwarticle/hutchins2.PDF
Ed Hutchins, Mystery of the Magic Box (1996)
https://www.academia.edu/310386/Book_Dynamics_Ed_Hutchins_Turns_Twists_and_Topples_Tradition
review in The Bonefolder, by Miriam Schaer.
I just spotted this diagram for a much more elaborate book in a box by the
book-arts genius, Ed Hutchins. I haven't tried it (or seen his Book
Dynamics!) but it looks like a lot of fun.

Karen  12/15/2014

Karen Reeds, co-ringleader, Princeton Public Library Origami Group.
Affiliate of Origami USA, http://origamiusa.org/
We usually meet 2nd Wednesday of the month, 6:30-8pm, 3rd floor. Free!
We provide paper! All welcome! (Kids under 8, please bring a grown-up.)
Princeton Public Library info:  609.924.9529
Next meeting, Wed., Jan. 14, 2015  -- Laura Kruskal will teach a sampler of
her Multiform models.