Hi Andrew,

        I've found that quite a few models in Tomoko Fuse's book 'Floral
Globes' can be made with sturdier paper and they hold quite well. In general
they are two piece modulars with a base fold and a decorative/holding fold.
I've made larger versions of one or two of them using 100->120 gsm coloured
paper for the base and then choose a suitable decorative paper. They assemble
in a similar fashion to Sonobe units (which are also fairly sturdy with
appropriate paper) so the assemblies can easily go to hundreds.

Caveat; I haven't tried other assemblies on the Floral Globes yet. The main
point here is that some modulars are pretty sturdy with a different paper
choice.

Dennis

P.S. I've also found that a lot of modulars made using edge modules collapse
under their own weight when they are made larger or with longer edges.