I learned in 1960 as waterbomb. I have see it called paper balloon, too. I
remember seeing billed as a container for fireflies - with clear paper. There
was a story about Japanese children putting flies in them so that their buzzing
would cause the paper to make noise.

When I was in 7th grade my homeroom teacher/science teacher boiled water in a
container that I made out of my  notebook paper. He filled it with water, put
in on a ring stand, and lit a bunson burner under neath. Paper burns at 451
degrees Fahrenheit while water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit. There is a good
margin between the burning point and the boiling point.

Mark