Gerardo asked about the Mechanics behind the flapping bird

While I don't have anything to add to what has been said (very enlighting
by the way), I'd like to share something regarding mechanics and the
flapping bird.

A few years ago I thought that since the flapping action includes friction,
it would somehow produce heat at some point, so I flapped a bird for about
5 minutes and then checked with an infrared camera expecting to spot some
areas hotter than others (the hinges I thought).

To my surprise no area of the bird showed a different temperature than the
rest except for the two places where I had my fingers on. This camera I
used has a 0.1 C (0.18 F) accuracy so this result (or lack of it thereof)
wasn't due to the use of the proper tool.

I always thought it was odd and was never able to find an explanation for
this.

--
Jorge Jaramillo