I have just been looking at what I can find out about the history of the
Tsuru ... lot's obviously! ... but I am left with a question which I hope
someone will be able to answer.

It is not clear to me when the now established tradition of folding 1000
cranes and/or stringing them together arose. Every avenue I follow up seems
to lead back to the story of Sadako Sasaki, who it appears did string cranes
together in this way, but I suspect that the tradition is much older than
that.

Does anyone know of any evidence to establish this, please?

Dave