Den 2. okt. 2017 kl. 19.06 skrev Dawn Tucker via Origami
<origami@lists.digitalorigami.com>:

>  My question is this: Who decided (and when) that cutting and gluing keeps a
> folded piece from being called origami? I've got origami books, written by
> those we consider to be origami masters, venerable Japanese folders, whose
> instructions include a little snip here, a drop of glue there... There are
> traditional origami models (perhaps hundreds of years older than those who
> would question them) that require a small cut or a piece of tape. Why do so
> many now say those models don't meet the definition of origami, and say so as
> if it were the gospel of folding?

One thing about origami that makes it so great for design, is that you put up a
fixed set of rules, and then try to solve your problem within the confines of
those rules. The rules challenges you to be inventive. How do I get five petals
from a square with four corners? How do I make a centipede (with hundreds of
legs) from a square?

Conversely, you challenge the rules. Who says we must use a square? Use a
pentagon, or five pieces of paper, for the flower with five petals. Instead of
using thin, thin paper and complicated crease patterns, use a simple fold to
obtain a pair of legs and then extend the paper to a hundreds of units long
strip. At the recent BOS convention I exhibited such a millipede, 1150 legs
from a 25 mm x 1350 cm strip of paper.

John Smith wrote a brief, but profound article many years ago, “Origami
Profiles”, http://www.britishorigami.info/academic/jonsmif.php exactly on those
rule sets.

Last Friday during a talk on origami I mentioned the almost anecdotal
Babylonian papyrus map, folded as you do with maps. Someone in the audience
asked when folding paper is origami? Yes, linguistically they mean the same.
No, intuitively folded paper is not necessarily paperfolding.

After weaving around with maps and NASA and origami, I came up with that for
folding paper to be origami, it needs to end up being a model in its own right,
such a plate, a box, an elephant, a piece of abstract art, etc. Maps and NASA
do not meet this criterium. However, the DO use origami *techniques*.

Best regards
     Hans

PS: Yes, Golden Venture Origami (or the horrible term, 3D-origami) is origami.
There is really not any principled distinction between that and other LEGO like
modulars like the many Sonobe modulars, or the great animals by Max Hulme (also
on exhibition at the BOS exhibition).
And no, you don’t need to love folding a particular genre of something for it
to be origami.

Conversely

Hans Dybkjær
Site: papirfoldning.dk