https://www.genengnews.com/news/microprotein-could-point-to-new-therapeutic-targets-for-diverse-human-diseases/

This article from Genetic Engineering  News doesn't specifically say
origami anywhere, but I'm sure the word will work its way into the
microprotein/unfolded protein response literature.

"The Salk scientists have now characterized a 54 amino acid microprotein
called PIGBOS, which their studies indicate may be key to molecular
pathways involved in dealing with a particular form of cell stress. Cells
routinely encounter stress that negatively impacts on cell health and
function, the authors stated. The accumulation of unfolded proteins in the
endoplasmic reticulum (ER) is a common stress, and this triggers a
conserved pathway called the unfolded protein response (UPR), which acts to
mitigate damage caused by this buildup. While stress-responsive genes,
proteins, and pathways provide a cellular mechanism to cope with this form
of cellular stress and return cells to homeostasis, dysregulation of the
UPR underlies several debilitating diseases. “Cells with an insufficient
capacity to handle protein production begin to accumulate unfolded or
misfolded proteins, which causes ER stress and triggers UPR,” the authors
commented. ”UPR dysfunction contributes to accumulation of key
disease-related proteins, and thus plays an essential role in the
pathogenesis of many neurodegenerative disorders, including Alzheimer’s
disease, Parkinson’s disease, and Huntington’s disease.”

Karen Reeds
Princeton Public Library Origami Group
Affiliate of Origami USA, http://origamiusa.org/
We usually meet 2nd Wednesday of the month, 6:30-8pm, 1st floor Quiet Room.
Free!
We provide paper! All welcome! (Kids under 8, please bring a grown-up.)
Princeton Public Library info:  609.924.9529
https://princetonlibrary.org/

Celebrating 13 years of paperfolding in Princeton! *Our next meetings: *
*Wed. Nov. 13, 2019, 6:30-8pm, Quiet Room, 1st Floor -- we'll fold Laura
Kruskal's classic model, Holiday Turkey.*
*Wed. Dec. 4, 2019,6:30-8pm, STEAM Room, 3rd Floor*  [NB the FIRST Wednesday