Arthur Stone discovered them and played with them in the late 1930s along with
his math friends and math colleagues, Richard P. Feynman, Bryant Tuckerman,
 John W. Tukey, when they were students at Princeton.

Martin Gardner made them popular with his articles in Scientific American
articles, in the 40s and later with his books.

More recently Les Pook, Ann Swartz, and Scott Sherman have written and shared
information about them.

People have played and created many, many flexagons...of different shapes,
number of flexes, faces, and ways to move through them, for years.

It seems there are endless variations...no pun intended (well, ok, maybe I did
intend it).

Sent from my iPad