Dear friends

The Museo del Origami in Colonia, Uruguay, celebrates its Second Anniversary!
We'd love you join our online activities on Saturday 22 and Sunday 23 (January,
2022)

To register and get your ticket, visit:
https://www.mixily.com/event/6534558100919865737
<https://www.mixily.com/event/6534558100919865737>

Believe it or not, this month the Museo del Origami in Colonia, Uruguay, will
be two years old! And we want to celebrate big! Like last year, when the
pandemic discouraged travels, we looked for ways to reach out our friends. In
2021 we did a virtual tour to the museum. This year we would look for something
different. It shouldn't be an origami convention, of which there are many and
good ones around. The event should fit within the museum's mission, and take
advantage of its resources. It should be something that is not often found in
origami conventions but be of interest to paperfolders and the general public
alike.

A recurring question from people who visit the museum is: "How did you manage
to make all this?" (by "all this" they mean "the museum/the exhibition") That
is why we decided to invite two experts, Bernie Peyton and Felipe Moreno, who
will talk about their curatorial experience with international exhibitions of
paperfolding (Saturday 22.)

On Sunday 23, we will meet again to enjoy two workshops with historical
perspective. In one, Hans Dybkjær (he will join us from Denmark) will teach the
famous elephant by George Rhoads (read the deails below) and after that, Michel
Grand (France) will teach the flapping bird with a historical "tweak".

We hope this program will be of your interest. The sessions will be recorded
and a link will be shared with those who purchased tickets for the event. Worth
noting: your contribution will support the museum's mission aimed at educating
people from around the world as well as to preserve the history of paperfolding
through its collection of models and historical documents.

Looking forward to meeting you at the event
Thank you!
Laura Rozenberg
Director
Museo del Origami
Colonia del Sacramento
Uruguay

Your ticket will go a long way towards funding our museum projects. For more
information on the museum's mission and activities, visit:
www.museodelorigami.org <http://www.museodelorigami.org/>

To register and get your ticket for this year’s celebration, visit:
https://www.mixily.com/event/6534558100919865737
<https://www.mixily.com/event/6534558100919865737>
Feel free to share it with your friends!

Museo del Origami, Second Anniversary Program

First Online Session
What does it take to set up a major origami show?: A panel discussion with
Bernie Peyton (origami artist and curator, USA) and Felipe Moreno (origami
artist and curator with EMOZ Origami Museum, Spain)
Date/Time: Saturday 22 at 12pm-1pm (EST); 2pm-3pm (Buenos Aires); 9am-10am
(PST); 6pm-7pm (France, Spain, etc.); 5pm-6pm (GMT, London)

In a zoom meeting, we'll learn from the experts about the challenges of
curating an international exhibition. Bernie Peyton and Felipe Moreno will
share their successes and drawbacks. Peyton will recount on his experiences
co-curating exhibitions for important museums of Taiwan and the USA, while
Moreno will give us tips on how to lay out top quality exhibitions with a
limited budget.

Second Online Session
How the elephant got 4 legs (in 1953): Workshop with Hans Dybkjær (Denmark)
Date/Time: Sunday 23 at 12pm-1pm (EST); 2pm-3pm (Buenos Aires); 9am-10am (PST);
6pm-7pm (France, Spain, etc.); 5pm-6pm (GMT, London)

The museum wants to celebrate the work of George Rhoads, who died last year.
His elephant from 1954 represents a turning point in origami and has been an
inspiration for many folders ever since: An elephant complete with ears, trunk,
tusks, tail, and four legs. Ten flaps from a single square!!
During the workshop, Hans Dybkjær will explain how this is achieved, and will
teach us how to fold the famous elephant.
At the end, Laura Rozenberg, director of the museum, will show original
foldings by George Rhoads that belong to the museum's collection.

Third Online Session
Folding the Flapping Bird the old-fashion way: Workshop with Michel Grand
(France)
Date/Time: Sunday 23 at 1pm-2pm (EST); 3pm-4pm (Buenos Aires); 10am-11am (PST);
7pm-8pm (France, Spain, etc); 6pm-7pm (GMT, London)

Michel Grand (MFPP, France) will teach the traditional Flapping Bird following
the first instructions published in the Western World (La Nature magazine,
1885). Because the instructions do not follow the modern notation system, they
may be a little obscure (but fun trying!) Next, Michel will turn to a modern
diagram (square base+petal fold=bird base), with a detail on how to correct the
angle so as to prevent the ripping of paper.