A good topic!

I have friends who like Golden Venture origami, or as they call it 3D Origami.
Mostly they also seem to like other paperfolding techniques such as book
folding or quilling which are also not mainstream in the 'origami community'.

None of these have any attraction for me, but then, I don't much like
tessellations or corrugations either. Nor do I much like complex designs
(though I appreciate how clever they are, and the skill that goes into folding
them).

I suppose that what we are attracted to fold is a matter of personal taste and
it would surely be better if we accommodated all styles of paperfolding within
our understanding of what origami is and all paperfolders within our societies.

Dave