Hey y'all,

This last year of folding, especially since I started teaching tessellations, has been truly eye-opening.
As I've taught my students how to fold these beautiful patterns, their underlying essence has become more and more apparent.
And what is that essence?
Twist symmetries and the application of symmetries to tilings.
These symmetries are not new - they've been celebrated for millennia - but the ways I've been able to use them to make tessellations appear to be new to the origami world.

In the talks I'm giving for Advanced Twist Techniques this year I'll take you on the same journey I had - but organized with the end in mind.
We'll discuss how shifting pleats mark a transition from one twist to another, and how successive shifts form a number line that can be used in design calculations.
We'll discuss how to break down the symmetries of twists, in hybrid and mixed-depth styles, and the niches these twists can fill.
Finally, we'll discuss the small number of choices that can make a whole tessellation when taken to their logical conclusions.
This last topic helps not only with designing your own patterns, but also with reading crease patterns in general - you'll be looking for the choices that were made, with a set of global patterns to match to like keys in a lock.

If any of this sounds interesting to you, I'd love to see you there!
Registration is here (https://training.gatheringfolds.com/advanced-twist-techniques) and yes, recordings are available after the event.

Happy folding,
Madonna

P.S. ATT's live times are most suited to American and European audiences, with office hours at varied enough times that at least one will be a good time for any time zone.