Hello Gerardo!
I can’t speak for the organizers, but I imagine they might want to get an idea
of what groups (if any) their participants are coming from because this would
help them get an idea where there are more active groups, which could be places
where they might want to promote their events more. Or, they might discover new
groups they didn’t know about, although only one or two people from that group
go to the convention. Those groups could be interesting areas for growth in
participation, as compared to groups that are already well-represented.
It would be interesting to hear from organizers to know whether I’m even close
to the real reasons…
Thanks,
Matthew