You need 4 colours, three of each, for the 12 modules in total.
Each side will have 4 colours, each corner will have 3 colours.

If you stay on the page, small waterbomb bases drop from the top. Click them (once) to see them expand into the exploding butterfly ball.

One trick: Make a masu box with sides that are the width of the waterbomb square. Then, when you have weaved the first four modules into the bottom side, you lift that into the box which functions as that third hand you don't have, making it much easier to assemble.

You weave the bottom layer, the sides, and the top. If you use the colours in the same order for each layer, shifted one corner clockwise (or counterclockwise, pending how your bottom layer weaves), then the resulting cube will have the colours spread out in each their band around the cube.

Anyway, always weave four different colours on each side, three different colours in each corner.

You can also find instructions in Tom Hull's Origami Math book.

I'm very grateful to Kenneth Kawamura for this great action model.

Have fun,
Hans