Gerardo wrote:

>There's a reference to folding and music in an essay by Tolstoy titled What is
>Art? Wow! What does it mention in regard to both?

This needs some clarification:

In their article 'Leo Tolstoy and the Art of Origami' in British Origami 186 of
October 1997, Misha Litvinov and Sergei Mamin quote, presumably in translation,
from the first draft of Tolstoy's essay 'What is Art?' (Leo Tolstoy - The
Complete Works, v.30, Moscow, 1951), 'This winter a lady of my acquaintance
taught me how to make cockerels by folding and inverting paper in a certain
way, so that when you pull them by their tails they flap their wings. This
invention comes from Japan. Since then I have been in the habit of making these
cockerels for children.' And 'The person who invented these cockerels must have
been enchanted by his own discovery, and the joy is transferred to others. And
that is why the making of a paper cockerel, strange as it may seem, is real
art. I cannot refrain from observing that this was the only new work in the
sphere of paper cockerels that I have encountered during the last sixty years.
At the same time, the poems, novels and musical opuses that I have read during
the same period run to hundreds, if not thousands. This is because cockerels do
not matter, you might say, whereas poems and symphonies do. But I think the
reason lies in the fact that it is much easier to write a poem, paint a
picture, or compose a symphony than to invent a new cockerel.'

Unfortunately these passages did not make it into the final published version
of the essay. See https://www.gutenberg.org/files/64908/64908-h/64908-h.htm

As you can see Tolstoy does not make any comparison between the process of
folding and that of playing music.

The statement that 'These cockerels come from Japan' is dubious and probably
ultimately derives from the 1885 article in La Nature.

If you want more info about Tolstoy's cockerels you can find it in the entry
for 1888 at https://www.origamiheaven.com/historyoftheflappingbird.htm.

Dave