10/27/2023

I just came across this thought-provoking essay by Justus Nieland,
"Container Culture: Film, Packaging, and the Design of Corporate Humanism
at the CCA." online open-access magazine, *Post45*, Issue 6: Midcentury
Design Cultures, 02.12.21.anism at the CCA
<https://post45.org/2021/02/container-culture-film-packaging-and-the-design-of-corporate-humanism-at-the-cca/>
https://post45.org/2021/02/container-culture-film-packaging-and-the-design-of-corporate-humanism-at-the-cca/

The folded/cut paperboard containers that surround us usually get taken for
granted. Origami folks are also likely to see them as raw material for our
own paperfolding. This fascinating essay reveals the connections between
World War II packaging innovations,  modernist Bauhaus designers (eg
Moholy-Nagy, Kepes), and changes in corporate culture in late 20th C
America.
Includes Video clips from the industrial films by Rhodes Patterson, The
Packaging System (1963) and others, and lots of fascinating illustrations,
with occasional glimpses of folded/cut paper designs.

By chance I also had just read the equally interesting few pages on the
history of corrugated cardboard and cardstock boxes in *The Secret History
of Groceries: The Dark Miracle of American Supermarkets*, by Benjamin Lorr
(2020), pp 26-28.

Karen
Karen Reeds
Princeton Public Library Origami Group [on pandemic hiatus]
Affiliate of Origami USA, http://origamiusa.org/

from Karen Reeds
karenmre...@gmail.com