Robert Lang <rob...@langorigami.com> indited:

>The quoted description from Kenneway is, IMHO, not a very accurate description
>of the methods used by Elias (and Hulme, let?s not forget) that we now call
>box-pleating. But, if I recall correctly, even Elias didn?t call his
>techniques ?box-pleating? ? I think he used the term ?box-folding?.

Thank you. I was hoping you would jump in on this!

Kenneway does say that the technique is 'Sometimes called 'box-folding'' though
he does not say that Elias used this term.

I also confess that, through laziness, I did not quote Kenneway's full
description of the technique, which goes beyond the collapse of a
concentrically creased square into a multiply sunk waterbomb base.

Kenneway says two things of historical interest. First he says that 'some of
the earliest models created by this method included R Rohm's series of 'flowers
in a vase'' and later says 'the technique itself derives from the two versions
of the 'Jack in-the-box' devised by F Rohm and N Elias in 1963'.

One version of Rohm's flower in a pot was mentioned, and pictured, in Vol 3:
Issue 2 of the Origamian for Spring / Summer 1963. Another, called 'Star
Flowers' was diagrammed in Sam Randlett's 'The Best of Origami', also published
in that year. I'm not convinced that either of those are 'box-pleated' designs.

The diagrams for Mooser's Train, however, included in your ODS, are dated 1967.
Do you know the date when this design was created rather than diagrammed? Was
it fresh off the folding table at that time or had it been around for some
years already? I can't find any mention of the design elsewhere in the
literature at an early date.

There are plenty of images of pleated designs, and a waterbomb base, In
'Trattato delle piegature', but I cannot see anything that looks, to me, like
the 'Elias stretch'. On the other hand I'm not sure I know what the 'Elias
stretch' is ...

I still think that it would probably be more accurate to say, as Kenneway does,
that Elias made frequent use of/developed the technique rather than originated
/pioneered it.

Dave