Everyone,

I used Orion 0.8-something for a while, and I don't remember any auto-reload
problems. Now I'm using Orion 0.9.4, and auto-reloading hardly ever seems to
work for recompiled Java classes.

The classes are simply used from Java code within JSP pages. Usually with
0.9.4, when I recompile a class, the old version is kept in the cache and I
get the old result -- Orion never seems to see the difference. Even worse,
if the modification is too severe, I get nothing more than a blank, white
screen in IE5.

The last time this happened (about 10 minutes ago), I checked my
global-application.log and found this nasty message:

4/8/00 9:14 AM defaultWebApp: Servlet error
java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError
 at __jspPage52._jspService(__jspPage52.java:75)
 at com.evermind.server.http.EvermindHttpJspPage.service(JAX)
 at com.evermind.server.http.HttpApplication.pk(JAX)
 at com.evermind.server.http.JSPServlet.service(JAX)
 at com.evermind.server.http.c1.l_(JAX)
 at com.evermind.server.http.c1.forward(JAX)
 at com.evermind.server.http.dc.ca(JAX)
 at com.evermind.util.b.run(JAX)

The only way to go forward was to delete the appropriate .jspCache file in
the persistence directory -- which, according to the file date, had not been
modified since before the class in question was recompiled.

Perhaps Orion could catch the java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError and
automatically reload the class. This would be a bit of a hack, though -- if
auto-reload were working correctly, I assume this error would never occur.

Modifying JSP pages work fine -- in fact, Orion even sees the changes I make
in statically included JSP pages.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there an auto-reload setting somewhere I don't
have set correctly?

Thanks,

Garret Wilson
GlobalMentor, Inc.