i don't mind showing my code.  it is still rough, and
i am still learning, so my ego cannot be bruised too
much..

after authenticating the user, a login servlet places
four strings into the session object, which the jsp
retrieves for display.

//servlet code
HttpSession client = req.getSession(true);
client.putValue("userName", userID);
client.putValue("loginTime", time);
client.putValue("oldlogindate", oldLoginDate);
client.putValue("oldlogintime", oldLoginTime);
res.sendRedirect("../home.jsp");

//jsp code--e.g. home.jsp
<%@ page language="java" session="true"
import="java.sql.*, java.net.URLEncoder,
java.util.Vector, java.util.Iterator"%>
userName = (String) session.getValue("userName");
loginTime = (String) session.getValue("loginTime");
oldLoginDate = (String)
session.getValue("oldlogindate");
oldLoginTime = (String)
session.getValue("oldlogintime");

as i said before this same code runs on iis/jrun.  i
must point out, however, that i've had to 'clean up'
other parts of my code (and drop deprecated methods)
when moving to orion.  this may be another case where
i did something that jrun would accept (but probably
shouldn't have) but which orion will not accept.

if anyone can help me out, i'd be very appreciative.
i've been able to figure out most of my other porting
problems, but here i haven't a clue..

regards,

bradley mclain