Hi,

I have a deployment problem, I would like to solve and so far I am not
quite sure if it's doable using standard j2ee means or if it needs orion
specific features.

suppose I have an ejb-module that encapsulates persistence related code in
an api which it exposes as a type of service. I would like to use this
module with the exact same db-mappings etc. as a black box from several
servlets. so far no problem. but what happens when I want to use the
ejb-module from a web module of a different j2ee application? is this
doable? what would be an elegant way to set this up? the reasons I don't
want to deploy the ejb-module in all applications that use it are the
following.

1. I don't want to administer, version-control etc. the orion-ejb-jar.xml
with all the mappings and finder definitions more than once.
2. the overhead of deploying an ejb-module with fine grained cmp is quite
high (memory consumption, startup time) so this is really an issue if the
module is large (which it is because it's generated automatically via dumb
schema mapping with a rich service layer facade)  an the number of times we
want to deploy the servlet that uses the api is large.

right now I'm thinking into several directions:
1. set up an ejb-ref across application boundaries (I'm looking into the
spec to see if that's legal), don't know how to do in orion, though
2. have the service facade register a reference to itself somewhere
(JNDI-Context available to all applications?) on startup so the other
servlets can obtain the reference from there
3. deploy all the servlets in one application and implement something like
a simple rewriting scheme (a la apache mod_rewrite) using a servlet filter
for the websites using the service. haven't looked into that yet so I might
be off-track here.

thanks for any hints/comments,

robert

(-) Robert Krüger
(-) SIGNAL 7 Gesellschaft für Informationstechnologie mbH
(-) Brüder-Knauß-Str. 79 - 64285 Darmstadt,
(-) Tel: 06151 665401, Fax: 06151 665373
(-) [EMAIL PROTECTED], www.signal7.de