Hi all,

i made some stress tests using orion 1.1.8 + informix 7.3 both under Linux.
Everything seems to work well, except of indeterministic exceptions of the
following type:

  com.evermind.server.rmi.OrionRemoteException: Transaction was rolled back:
Error in transaction: javax.transaction.xa.XAException: The connection was
closed
        at
NMejbBinary_EntityBeanWrapper0.setText(NMejbBinary_EntityBeanWrapper0.java:5
09)
        at com.evermind.server.rmi.ba.run(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.rmi.a8.gx(JAX, Compiled Code)
        at com.evermind.server.rmi.a8.run(JAX, Compiled Code)
        at com.evermind.util.e.run(JAX, Compiled Code)
  at connection to beatnix.net-media.de/10.0.1.13 as admin
        at com.evermind.server.rmi.a8.invokeMethod(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.rmi.a_.invoke(JAX)
        at __Proxy3.setText(Unknown Source)
        at de.netmedia.ejb.test.clienttest.addWords(clienttest.java:102)
        at de.netmedia.ejb.test.clienttest.main(clienttest.java:256)

        Nested exception is:
  javax.transaction.xa.XAException: The connection was closed
        at com.evermind.sql.al.prepare(JAX, Compiled Code)
        at com.evermind.server.f8.g3(JAX, Compiled Code)
        at com.evermind.server.ApplicationServerTransaction.commit(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.ApplicationServerTransaction.end(JAX,
Compiled Code)
        at
NMejbBinary_EntityBeanWrapper0.setText(NMejbBinary_EntityBeanWrapper0.java:5
07)
        at com.evermind.server.rmi.ba.run(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.rmi.a8.gx(JAX, Compiled Code)
        at com.evermind.server.rmi.a8.run(JAX, Compiled Code)
        at com.evermind.util.e.run(JAX, Compiled Code)
  at connection to beatnix.net-media.de/10.0.1.13
        at com.evermind.server.rmi.OrionRemoteException.g0(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.rmi.a8.gv(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.rmi.a8.run(JAX)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

which, i assume, is caused by the database (correct me if i'm wrong).

I tried then to use the max-tx-retries to work around this and set it to
"10" for all my beans (session and BMP entity beans) in the
orion-ejb-jar.xml, which leads in the first transaction to the following
exception:

  com.evermind.server.rmi.OrionRemoteException: Transaction was rolled back:
null
        at
NMejbBinaryHome_EntityHomeWrapper16.create(NMejbBinaryHome_EntityHomeWrapper
16.java:663)
        at com.evermind.server.rmi.ba.run(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.rmi.a8.gx(JAX, Compiled Code)
        at com.evermind.server.rmi.a8.run(JAX, Compiled Code)
        at com.evermind.util.e.run(JAX, Compiled Code)
  at connection to beatnix.net-media.de/10.0.1.13 as admin
        at com.evermind.server.rmi.a8.invokeMethod(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.rmi.a_.invoke(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.rmi.a0.invoke(JAX)
        at __Proxy0.create(Unknown Source)
        at
de.netmedia.ejb.base.binarybean.NMejbBinaryAccess.create(NMejbBinaryAccess.j
ava:89)
        at de.netmedia.ejb.test.clienttest.addWords(clienttest.java:100)
        at de.netmedia.ejb.test.clienttest.main(clienttest.java:256)

Without max-tx-retries it works (except for the above problem).

BTW a suggestion for the future: What about having a place (server.xml ?)
where you can specify the default values for these things like
max-tx-retries, transaction-timeout and so on, preferable for each
application (maybe as extension to the application tag)? It's not very handy
having them in the orion-ejb-jar.xml.

Regards,

Jens Stutte

[EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.netmedia.de