I believe Orion has a GUI tool that creates a WAR for you, but that is
beyond me. When I am developing, I don't WAR up the dir. I keep it expanded.
You point to the WAR directory structure in default-web-site.xml in the
/config folder. Just read up on that and you should be set to have a WAR
file for development. Then you can JAR up the dir:

jar cvf myfile.war root-dir

That should jar up your entire www structure, including the WEB-INF folder
which has
/classes  - the compiled code of your app
/lib   - the .jar and .zip libraries loaded for you by Orion (as per the
servlet 2.2 spec)
web.xml - the descriptor that explain to Orion how to run.

Anything in /classes automatically becomes part of the classpath, that is
part of the servlet 2.2 spec and should work on any servlet 2.2 container.
Anything in the /lib folder should be loaded by the application server
automatically and become part of the classpath as well. We put jdbc.zip (for
Oracle 8i) there, along with activation.jar, mail.jar, jasp.jar, and other
.jar files we need. At runtime they are automatically seen by your app (in
the import statements of your classes). Nothing special to do.

Orion has a very kewl feature that allows you, during development, to point
to a "source" directory that matches the package structure output of your
compiled classes. It then checks the source dir for changes (time-date)
compared to the .class file it was compiled in to. If there is a change, it
recompiles and reloads the web-app for you. This allows you not to have to
shut down and restart orion every time you make a code change. Most app
servers support this for classes in the /servlets dir, and generally that is
javabeans and servlets. Orion (and Resin does this too) will reload the web
app if any classes changed. The only downside is that it can take a few
seconds for it to check the files. I believe its faster than restarting
though.