I have clustered Orion, but there is alot I don't know about it. I have
learned that Orion does session replication to every server in the cluster
farm. I have not been able to test it with a load-balancer yet. Anyone
happen to know of a "free" software load-balancer that can be used to test
multiple servers with?

Clustering with Orion is easy. You just add a <cluster id="x" /> to
server.xml on each server in the Orion/config dir. x is equal to a unique
number on each server.

then you add a <cluster-config /> to each orion-web.xml in the WEB-INF dir
of a web app. That should cluster it.

There are a number of issues I am not sure of however. If you run orion with
the -console2 option, it brings up a SWING based admin console, and you can
open the http tree and see the web-apps running, then look at sessions in
each of those apps. When I cluster two servers, and hit one, the session
data appears in both servers. However, on the server that the session was
not created on, the values of the objects in the session are not available.
This confuses me because I figured if I hit the other server that has been
replicated to, and passed along the session ID (jsessionid=xxx), that it
would automatically make that session available to me. However, one of our
engineers mentioned that a session is stored via the ip address being hit.
Thus, even though the session data is saved on two servers, trying to access
the same session from two different ip addresses won't work. My only dilema
here is..if a server goes down (say the one the session data was created
on), so only one is left, does that automatically take over? I can't get
this to work because I don't have a load balancer. I assume using a
load-balancer is easy enough and this would work. Anyone from the Orion team
care to respond..that would be great if you could explain how this is done.

Thanks.