This is one of the fundamental problems of EJB :)

Well, the answer is negative: you can't have a non-writable field in the
table, Orion (and not only Orion) will always complain. Instead, you would
have to generate your own unique ids.

    - you can generate unique ids with the UID class (based on
java.rmi.server.UID and System.currentTimeMillis)
    - you can have an EJB for  autoincrementing fields.

Vlad