I think your ok..but I use the request.getContextPath() in a "included"
header file on all my JSP pages. I assign it to a contextPath string var and
use it in all my href tags <a href="<%= contextPath
%>/path/file.jsp">click</a>

But, I believe the spec allows relative paths to the root of the web app.
So, if your root is /, and the dir is i3-web, and you have a linke to
/path/page.jsp, it would be from /i3-web/path/page.jsp.