"Smith, Bill (RIC)" wrote:
> I noticed something that doesn't make much sense to me. When I execute the
> shutdown command with admin.jar, there are half a dozen of java -jar
> orion.jar processes that still hang around. If I start the server again,
> even more appear. I'm run Redhat 6.2 with the IBM 1.3 jdk (IBM build
> cx130-20000623). I do notice that I get the following exception after I
> getting the "Shutting down..." message back from the server.
>
> Error: com.evermind.server.rmi.OrionRemoteException: Disconnected:
> Connection reset by peer: Connection reset by peer
>
> After I recieve this message, If I try to shut the server down again, I get
> a connection refused exception.
>
> Any ideas?

This happens on several JVMs. I've tried it on lots :)

Anyway, one way to help the situation is to add a 'force' right after
the shutdown command:
java -jar admin.jar ormi://localhost/ admin 123 -shutdown force

This will force connections to close and such. However, even then
sometimes it won't die. Occasionally we have to give a kill -9 to the
processes to get them to die. You do want to make sure that the old
processes are completely gone BEFORE running orion again or else you may
run into some problems (at least performance problems, and possibly some
weird stuff going on).

My guess is that the processes are hanging around because of resources
(db connections maybe) that just are refusing to close, but I don't know
for sure.
--
Joel Shellman
Chief Software Architect