Second Question! Woo! Hoo! =)

Hello, karl,

Excellent! Awesome! Great!

I burned through your document and have a functional setup.

A few questions :

Where ideally should loadbalancer.jar be executed? Obviously if it is running on
one of the machines in the cluster it isn't so good.. sort of defeats the
fail-safe purposes... So should it have it's own machine? Or am I just missing
something.

The current setup I tried is this :

2 machines in the cluster. A third machine has a mapped drive to one of the
machines and is the loadbalancer.

I start the loadbalancer in debug mode. It says it is initialized. I start the
two backend servers in debug mode (as outlined in the HOWTO)... they start
yakking away apparently over multicast... things like :

=====================================
HTTP-clustering service started...
Created cluster-listener for 230.0.0.1/230.0.0.1:9128 as 1249865300...
Adding clustering service 'defaultWebApp'...
HTTP-Clustering service initializing...
Received cluster-message: defaultWebApp...
HTTP-Clustering sent "I want sessions" request...
Received cluster-message: defaultWebApp...
Receiving HTTP-cluster send-sessions goahead from 597745668...
Received cluster-message: defaultWebApp...
Receiving HTTP-cluster sessions...
Received cluster-message: defaultWebApp...
Receiving HTTP-cluster send-sessions request...
Received cluster-message: defaultWebApp...
Receiving HTTP-cluster session value update...
Created cluster-listener for 230.0.0.2/230.0.0.2:27512 as 1...
Adding clustering service 'islands'...
Orion/1.3.3 initialized
=====================================

The second "cluster-listener" is created when the LoadBalancer 'discovers' that
machine. Is it alright that two listeners are created?

ALright... then both machines are up... I go to the servlet/SessionServlet and
LoadBalancer binds the session and chooses a server for me.. so far so good... I
get the counter up a bit (and watch the machine send the other counter
updates)... then I kill that server (kill the process through Task Manager).. I
click refresh in the browser and lo and behold... the LoadBalancer re-routes the
connection and I'm now on the other machine with the correct data.

Excellent! BUT..... when I start up the dead server again... it gets detected by
the loadbalancer... starts receiving updates from the other server... so I kill
of Server #2.... it dies... and the counter returns to 1.... even though the
counter value DID get passed (listed in the debug messages)... for some reason
it creates a new session. Any ideas here?

In fact after the first successful fail-over ... I can't get it to do it again
without stopping the loadbalancer... and then both servers... then starting the
load balancer... then both the servers again. It seems to only work once... then
not anymore... even though it LOOKS like it should work.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I am using Orion 1.3.3 since that's what the autoupdate gave me... the HOWTO
DOES say to use 1.3.5+ but I don't know where that is.

Thanks,
Dylan