I heard that an entity bean is always locked whenever it's involved (not
sure what "involved" means, anyone know?) in a transaction. So if one
transaction calls into an entity bean, it's locked until that transaction
completes. So if any other transaction tries to access it, it blocks until
the first transaction finishes.

Is that correct? I thought that would only happen if you specify
isolation="serialized" as the isolation level. I have isolation="committed",
is it still blocking always?

We're seeing a lot of deadlocks (timeouts) and trying to analyze the locking
that is going on to get it fixed.

Thanks,

Joel Shellman
Chief Software Architect