I'd also like to know a bit more about how the caching works. As for all those
"unnecessary" database writes - I guess they're there to help ensure data
integrity in the event of a crash... You can eliminate many of them though -
from the FAQ:

Q: I am using CMP Entity beans and call many methods on it that do not modify
the state of the bean. How can I help Orion figure out that I am not
changing the state and that it does not need to talk to the database?

A: Implement the method "public boolean isModified()" in your bean to return a
boolean flag that you set each time you modify your bean and clear in
ejbStore(). If isModified() returns false, Orion knows that it doesn't need to
talk to the database

Weblogic (I think - one of the "big" appservers anyway) does the same sort of
thing.

-t

--

   Tony Abbott                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]