I've got, as I'm sure many have, Orion working great with Oracle 8i.
In my case I'm running 8iR2 on Linux.
        The error message you gave in the other message you posted is vague, so
it's tough to diagnose from it.  Though upon looking at you data-source
tag you're missing a critical attribute, that being:
schema="database-schemas/oracle.xml".  See the original data-sources.xml
for an example of it's usage.
        I also added the path to the JDBC driver to the application.xml's
orion-application tag in the form of: <library
path="../../java/oracle_jdbc" />
        Here's what my data-source tag looks like:

        <data-source
                class="com.evermind.sql.DriverManagerDataSource"
                name="rmedia"
                location="jdbc/RMediaDS"
                xa-location="jdbc/xa/RMediaXADS"
                ejb-location="jdbc/RMediaEJBDS"
                connection-driver="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"
                schema="database-schemas/oracle.xml"
                username="XXX"
                password="XXX"
                url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@localhost:1521:rmedia"